These caramels are flavored with molasses and brown sugar, and the recipe comes from the Rumford Complete Cookbook by Lily Haxworth Wallace, 1927.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 pound grated chocolate
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shelled, chopped nuts
- Put all the ingredients, except the nuts, into a large saucepan and cook 20 minutes over a low simmer.
- Test by dropping a little of the mixture into cold water. If it forms a firm ball remove from the fire, and add the chopped nuts.
- Pour into a greased pan.
- Cut into squares when nearly set.
Recipe adapted from The Rumford Complete Cook Book by Lily Haxworth Wallace, Rumford Company, 1927.