This beautiful recipe comes from the 1950 mini cookbook, Here Are the Cakes America Loves – Royal Cakes made with Royal Cream of Tartar Baking Powder. The cake consists of a chocolate jelly roll cake, and filled with a marshmallow filling. There is a variation listed for ‘Chocolate Roll de Luxe’ with a Thin Bitter Chocolate Icing on top.
Chocolate Marshmallow Roll
This cake has a marshmallow filling and drizzled with a chocolate icing before serving.
Chocolate Jelly Roll Cake
- 1/2 cup sifted cocoa
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 egg whites, beaten until stiff but not dry
- 1 egg white, unbeaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 marshmallows, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
Thin Bitter Chocolate Icing
- 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For the Cake
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- Beat the yolks until thick and light. Gradually add in the sugar. Add in the water, and beat well.
- Alternately add in the sifted dry ingredients and the beaten egg whites.
- Spread the cake batter in a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan that has been greased and lined with parchment.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the cake is done.
- Turn out immediately on a slightly dampened cloth sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Remove the parchment, and trim any crusty edges.
- Spread with the marshmallow filling and roll up immediately.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Drizzle with chocolate icing if desired.
For the Marshmallow Filling
- Stir the egg white, sugar, water, and cut marshmallows in the top of a double boiler. Cook over hot water while beating with an egg beater until the mixture stands in peaks, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the vanilla extract and baking powder.
- Beat 5 minutes more or until the icing is of smooth spreading consistency.
For the Thin Bitter Chocolate Icing
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Boil the water and sugar together for 5 minutes until a thin syrup develops.
- Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the melted chocolate, beating constantly. When slightly thick, spread or drizzle on the Chocolate Roll.