From 1908, here is a recipe for Chocolate Caramels.
Write a review
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 pound grated chocolate
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, or Brazil nuts), optional
- Cook the sugar, molasses, chocolate, butter, salt, and half the cream in a heavy saucepan until 230 degrees F, thread stage.
- Add in the remaining cream slowly, and cook until 254 degrees F, hard ball stage.
- Remove from heat, and add in the vanilla, and nuts if using, and pour into a well-greased pan.
- When cooled to almost room temperature, mark into squares.
Old School Pastry http://oldschoolpastry.pastrysampler.com/